The IMI recognizes three outstanding individuals who have contributed to the mining industry throughout their careers. They include apprentice miner, experienced miner, and honorary member.
- Apprentice Miner – Zebulon Kramer, M-Class Mining
- Experienced Miner – Mark Mormino, American Coal
- IMI Honorary Member – John Howard, IL Eastern Community College
The IL Department of Natural Resources – Office of Mines and Minerals recognizes the following mines for the “Best Injury Frequency Rate Awards”. The 2012 awards are based on accidents and employee-hours from July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2012.
- Underground Division I (greater than 500,000 employee-hours) – Big Ridge Inc, Willow Lake Mine
- Underground Division II (less than 500,000 employee-hours) – Peabody Midwest Mining LLC, Wildcat Hills U/G Mine
- Surface Division – Knight Hawk Coal LLC, Prairie Eagle Mine
- Support Division – Peabody Midwest Mining LLC, Preparation Plant